Random: Non-Math Related

  • Grad Reps for 2009-2010 are: Shanshan Huang, Youngsu Kim, Lina Ma, Alexia Mintos.
  • Nancy E knows everything...just ask if you have a question or are confused about anything.
  • Paper and pens are free in Math 835, just ask Terry Kepner.
  • There are cleaning supplies for the offices, ask one of the reps where to get them.
  • Room 419 has a copier/scanner. You can scan documents (instructions are above the machine) which will be sent to your email as a .pdf. You can then print the documents to a math printer free of charge.
  • Coffee hour is from 3:15 to 3:45 p.m. on MWF, 4:00 to 4:30 p.m. on Tuesdays (cake is served on Tuesdays prior to the weekly colloquiums) and 3:45 to 4:15 p.m. on Thursdays in the Math library lounge on the 3rd floor of the Math Building. We encourage you to bring your own coffee mug. Styrofoam cups are 10 cents each.

  • The number for the Purdue Directory is 765.494.4600, they will connect you/give you the number to any campus office.
  • If you lock yourself out of your office, you can go to Math 835 and ask Terry Kepner for the key. If the main math office is not open, then you can call the campus police (get the number by calling the Purdue Directory above) and they will send someone (probably a custodian) to let you in.
  • To get a C-Garage parking permit for the following year you need to sign up for it at the end of the spring semester. You will get an email about this when the time comes. There is a limited number of passes so do not delay signing up.

Computer/Account Related

  • The Purdue math webpage has a FAQ for computing. You can get to it by clicking the resources link on the top of the math website and then click Computing.
  • You can have your Purdue Webmail forward to your Math Webmail or vice-versa. Talk to a computer kid to figure out how to do it, or you can check Bell's Network News at http://www.math.purdue.edu/~bell/nn volumes 14 and 20 for some (perhaps outdated) details.
  • You can change your email address on the itap website (but not your login/ alias).
  • You can set up a webpage with address www.math.purdue.edu/~loginID
  • Each grad student gets a $40 ITaP printing allowance each semester. So you can print in the B010 of Math building or any other ITaP computing labs.
  • Printing to math printers (on floors 6 and 7) is free.
  • You can access software (such as Microsoft Office, Matlab, etc.) through Purdue anytime anywhere as long as you are online. Go to https://goremote.ics.purdue.edu and login.
  • Software is sold through the ITaP website at cheap prices (click the link for shopping).
  • You can receive discounts on laptops, printers etc. by shopping through the ITaP website.

Teaching Related

  • When you do your screening for Dr. Saerens, ask an older student about what questions for which you should be prepared.
  • Don't call Dr. Saerens "Rita"
  • Unless it is an emergency, do not go to Dr. Saerens office without scheduling an appointment.
  • If you want to reserve a room for a review session for your class, let Terri (in 835) know a couple days early, and they will set it up.
  • The (only) two questions on your students' evaluations that really matter are 'Overall I would rate this instructor' and 'This instructor gave clear and helpfull explanations'.

Random: Math Related (classes, conferences, etc.)

  • Nancy E has a list of every qual with the dates and the authors, so you can find the one's your prof wrote quickly.
  • Once a year you can apply to the department for funding to attend a conference. The amount is UP TO $500 per student per school year, however funding is not gauranteed.
  • Most conferences have funding for grad students to attend. When registering for a conference be sure to ask/indicate that you would like funding.
  • If you take a class from Dr. Ulrich, take perfect notes, and make them your textbook.

Return to MathGrad page

Alumni Liaison

Correspondence Chess Grandmaster and Purdue Alumni

Prof. Dan Fleetwood